JSS attorney Patrick F. Welch spoke with FOX 10’s Ron Hoon about what you should know when traveling abroad. Welch responded to questions that arose in light of the recent media attention surrounding the Yanira Maldonado case.
There is a close economic bond between Mexico and the United States, which results in frequent cross-border travel and commercial transactions.
Welch shared his belief that Mexico, particularly the State of Sonora, is a safe place for U.S. tourists and business travelers, but emphasized that travelers should always be aware of their surroundings whenever they are traveling abroad, whether in Mexico or another county.
Here are some best practices Welch shared with Fox 10 viewers when traveling to Mexico for business or pleasure:
- Be cognizant of local Mexican laws and customs
- Always be professional and courteous to local police or military personnel you encounter
- Make copies of your passport and be sure to obtain any required business visas before traveling
- Have the contact information of your business partners or personal contacts handy
- Carry consular or embassy contact information with you